Why Track Calls as Google Analytics Goals
To gain insight into the marketing that is converting best, it’s important to fully track the journey of a visitor from Ad to click to call to converted outcome.
How It Works
- Visitor goes to your ad and clicks through to landing page
- They hit a landing page with tracking template that includes data such as keyword & gclid and where they are presented with a dynamic tracking number
- When they call the number
- An event can be tracked that the call initiated
- An event can be tracked that the call connected
- An event can be tracked that the call converted (and optionally that did not)
- In Google Analytics each event may be aligned to Goals
- Completed Goals are configured to trigger conversions in Adwords
You now have insight into which Ads (and keywords) converted best.
Getting Set Up
Create a campaign
Any campaign will work. Ensure conversion tracking is in place if you have call conversion criteria.
Add Parameter Mappers for Adwords’ Google Click ID and Keyword
You will need to add a gclid and keyword parameter mapper in Retreaver. Ensure your adwords also includes a parameter for glcid and keyword in your tracking template.
Typically the value-track parameters to add to your tracking template are:
To enable auto-tagging of parameters to urls in adwords see: Tag Your AdWords Final URLs
Add Tracking URLs to the campaign to track Events back to Google Analytics
Set up Tracking URLs for call-based events you want to track in Google. For example:
With Retreaver it’s possible to send multiple events for a single call to Google Analytics using Tracking URLs. For example:
Using the Tracking Url: Start: When a call Comes in
Using the Tracking Url: Answered: When a handler answers call
Using the Tracking Url: Conversion: If call converted
For each Tracking URL, assign parameters as follows (for all parameters available click here)
- v = The Protocol version. The value should be ‘1’.
- tid = The tracking ID / web property ID.
- cid = Client ID. Anonymously identifies an instance. [call_uuid] token is an option here.
- t = Type. Use ‘event’
- ec = Event Category. We suggest using “Call” or “Calls”.
- ea = Event Action. We suggest using an action aligned to the call status. I.e. Call+Started. Note the spaces must be escaped with a + or %20
- el = Optional. Event Label. For use in Reporting
- ev = Optional. Event Value. Must be an integer (Google limitation). This will track the value of the conversion from call to Google Analytics.
- gclid = Google Click ID. Needs to be passed to your landing page via the adwords tracking template. This is needed to match the ad conversion back to the ad.
- cs = Source. This should align to your [source_id] or [affiliate_id]
Ultimately, use any event category, action and label you like. For simplicity we’ve kept the category as “Call” and the action and label the same as eachother.
For Events relating to conversions. The Tracking URL needs to also &gclid=[gclid] added to the end. This will be used to map conversions in Google Analytics to Adwords.
Test Fire Each Tracking URL
Either place a call through the campaign that will trigger each event. Or use the “Test Fire” button in Retreaver to send a call to Google Analytics. This will help you check that the events are being registered correctly.
Configure Google Analytics
Confirm Events Are In Google Analytics
Navigate to Behaviour > Events > Top Events in your Google Analytics. You should see the Event Category listed in the table. Add a Secondary Dimension for Event Action. This will show you the different types of events sent to Google Analytics from Retreaver.
Click on Admin then navigate to Goals under the View column:
Next you will be asked to set up your first goal, or if you need to, click “New Goal”.
1. Select the Custom option for Goal Setup. Then Continue.
2. Next. Give your goal a name and select Event as the Type. Then Continue.
3. Set the Category, Action and Label to match what you used in your Tracking URL, remembering to replace any escaped characters with their actual spaces or values. For example, “Call+Answered” in the Tracking URL becomes “Call Answered” in the goal details. Then click Save.
Your goals are now ready to go. Complete a few test calls to confirm you see the conversion information come through in the Goal view (Conversions > Goals > Overview).
For additional information check out the following links from Google
- Destination Goal Examples (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1116091?hl=en)
- Set up Event Tracking (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136960?hl=en)
- Measurement Protocol Parameter Reference (https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters)
- Add Google Analytics data to Adwords Reports (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2617364?hl=en&ref_topic=3121765)